Translate

Tuesday 8 May 2012





'ST.JOHN' Family Genealogy UK

I have been researching my family tree now for some time. Not as many years as some people - 7 to be exact.  This does not include asking questions and being generally interested in the family stories or tales that we heard as children.  

After my child was born I found the time to take up other interests and this is just one of them.  I have found Genealogy very, very interesting  finding facts and resources - being able to search using the internet - and now using Ancestry.co.uk - I have the bug, I have been bitten by my past! I am now into genealogy. Looking into the past and finding out all sorts of interesting things about the family - what they did where they lived.  Now there are a lot of ancestry packages out there, an awful lot.  Search have a read and you decide which one to join.

With all family research we have to start somewhere - so naturally you out in what you know and you gather information from family members to what they can help you with and then you need help.  So for me this is Ancestry.co.uk. An excellent resource for those of us that do it.  It is not a cheap past-time and it can get extremely expensive if we allow it too.  All info has to come from somewhere. Normally this is birth, death and Marriage certificates. Fine we say we can do that!!  But what we don't realise is that there are members of families who don't want to participate.  Well this is fair enough and whilst mentioning this I must just say that ALL family trees on Ancestry DO NOT show LIVING people to others - this is private information and is only available to the tree owner.  I personally like this.

SO on we go to researching -  we then have the census sheets, thousands of them and if we treck back and double check everything we will find our anscestors -  too a degree!  Great we are on our way to learning and absorbing, seeing our tree grow.  But the info is only available to a certain era.  Much of the info we need is in parish records and a lot of information has been lost over the centuries - and we as a country here in the UK and I suspect worldwide really, were not really very good at keeping records for us 'Normal' everyday people.  So what do we do?  How do we find out these things? Where on earth do we look?

Well this is why I started this blog.  I can go to the library, I can search online, if I was rich I could buy certificates from online sources all of which we can go into later.  But I am not.  I am limited to the internet as well as Library and from finding links in others family trees, but somewhere we have to go further and find out more..... Other family trees are at the same point as I am -  and to find out other things and information it is time to share!

I know this much I have come to the time of researching big time and I know there must be lots of people trying to find out the same things and asking the same questions.  

UK 'St.John's' are my research - I know there are a lot of 'St.John's' out there and I know that an awful lot are from the USA. Please join in and blog about this HUGE family, the exciting Peerage side, the Royal links, and the normal everyday people with nice links to the past.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say how you research and where you go and what you do to find information other than just what we know we can find. Books, tv programs, magazines, family member stories anything about family research.















2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah Jane - Thank you for joining my blog Status, Scandal and Subterfuge. Have you found any links back to the aristocratic St Johns? If you'd like to read more I have a second blog which takes a wider look at the family, covering the senior Bletsoe branch as well - Good Gentlewoman- on www.goodgentlewoman.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just finished reading this and by all accounts it makes very interesting reading. Thankyou for the link.

    I must say that all the reading has got my mind thinking now as to whether or not the St.John's were either step family or something. They seemed to move about all over the place, and my family were from around Battersea and Middlesex as well as Kent!!

    A few of the St John's moved or were removed to the New country as it was then, or the USA as we all know it now. 'Matthias Sension' was one of those, although there is still some controversey as to whether or not he did come from the UK Line no one is really sure - as to my reading of these past weeks...I don't know what others think or what they can out to this?

    In answer to your question - this is where I am stuck...the family link is hard to find - hence this blog - I found yours during a search on the internet. I have had a good read of both and I find it all very interesting. I have been to Lydiard Tregoze as the family believe they are linked somehow to this family side.. I have seen some of the gorgeous family paintings and the rooms laid as they may have been.. I loved the blue room - being an artist myself this was the best room for me. Lydiard Tregoze gave me a very unsettling feeling - I cant explain - it was a nice feeling but all together weird. As for the church well that was very nice, we didnt get to see the tryptich that day as it was shut - but the tombs and the marble monuments were really lovely to see. I have yet to return to see it all again since the gardens and the lake area. One day I hope to..

    Returning to family research any help would be good... reading.. have you anymore to read? I would be interested in reading it if you have... cant wait for more..

    ReplyDelete